Monday, August 18, 2008

Pie Practice

Maybe some of you out there are thinking to yourself, “Self, I really want to go to this pie-off thing because it sounds really fun but I don’t know how to bake a pie.” Well, take heart. The pie-off embraces all skill levels. I myself have only made two pies in my life. It was about 10 years ago and they were hardly from scratch – and I am an official Pie Commissioner.

So on Sunday I dusted off my rolling pin and baked a practice pie. I’ve never made pie crust from scratch and this was my biggest source of pie anxiety. So many people have conflicting theories on what makes the best pie crust. How does a pie novice decide what to do? My fellow Pie Commissioners both swear by this person, her recipe and technique. Seemed like a good starting point to me. My mom gave me the last harvest of her backyard rhubarb. So I was good to go.

Except, I still needed to buy a pie plate. When presented with the various pie plate options at Kitchen Kaboodle, I made a snap decision and purchased a Pure by Chantal pie plate in ivory. It’s environmentally friendly, but I made my decision solely on looks. It was cute and it was mine.

Here's a little pictorial diary of my first homemade pie from scratch.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on your pie! looks like you may not have brushed your crust with an egg wash - that really makes the finished pie look like a pie contest winner.
Did you serve it with homemade ice cream too? Yum

LeLo said...

I'm really impressed. And feeling threatened. I think I better practice my pie making this weekend!

Lizzy Caston said...

That is a really beautiful pie. You'll do a smashing job at the pie-off!