Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Pie tastes better on environmentally responsible plates

I hate Styrofoam. No, I seriously hate Styrofoam. At an event last summer, I was hot, I was parched, I needed some liquid libations. I approached the booth featuring hand squeezed lemonade, and discovered my only option was to drink it out of a Styrofoam cup. Despite my rapidly decreasing loveliness wilting in the heat and my approaching puffiness from dehydration, I declined the lemonade. I just can’t do the Styrofoam. That’s petroleum. Things just don’t taste good when they’re served on or in things that are bad for the environment. At least that’s my humble opinion. But you know the great thing about this whole blog post? We have options.

OPTIONS! If you’re having a picnic or a get-together or an event, you don’t have to go the bad-for-the-environment route. There are so many other ways to do right by the planet. With this in mind, our friends at Verterra have generously offered plates for us to use at the Portland Pie-Off. Yeah, Verterra! Why are they better than Styrofoam? Oh, let us count the ways….

Verterra plates are made from leaves. And they can biodegrade in less than 3 months. There’s a lot of other really great things to be said about them, and you can read about it here. And you can see their lovely products here. We’ll be using these at the Pie-Off.

But the really great thing? These plates are reusable before they are composted. If there is a community organization that would like these plates after the Pie-Off, just let us know and we’ll make arrangements for you to pick them up from the event and continue their life, serving good foods, hopefully as good as the pies are sure to be at the Pie-Off. And when they eventually are at the end of their lives, we’ll know they compost back into the earth. Doesn’t that pie taste even better now? Mmmmpie.

Special thanks to our friend GreenSmith on Twitter for making this sponsorship possible!

No comments: